Help your new addition put his/her “best paw forward” with Winter Park’s exceptional puppy care!
Congratulations on the addition of your new family member! At Winter Park Veterinary Hospital, we look forward to welcoming your new puppy into our family as well!
We enjoy assisting our clients and their families as they guide their new puppies along the exciting journey to exceptional health and lifelong happiness! Our veterinarians at Winter Park Veterinary Hospital have designed detailed puppy care programs that both includes thorough evaluations and provides pet owners with the guidance and information they will need as their new family members develop.
When you pick up your puppy, remember to ask what and when he or she was fed. Replicate that schedule until your first puppy visit with us. We will discuss your puppy’s breed, anticipated lifestyle and nutritional needs with you during your first puppy visit.
Pre-puppy planning is important. It is best to purchase supplies (for example, food and water bowls, chew toys, grooming supplies, bedding, collar and leash, identification tag, crate and gates) before you bring your puppy home. Pre-puppy shopping allows you to shop for supplies without the pressure of the puppy immediately needing these items.
You’ll need to puppy-proof the area where he or she will spend most of his or her time the first few months. Once you think you’ve completely puppy-proofed, lie on the floor and look around once more to get a puppy’s-eye view. If you have children, please remind them not to overwhelm the puppy the first day.
Your Puppy’s First Wellness Exam
When you bring your puppy home, please schedule an appointment with one of our veterinarians for your puppy’s first wellness exam. This initial visit’s exam includes a thorough “nose-to-tail” physical evaluation, and allows us to establish an individualized preventative veterinary care program for your puppy going forward.
Your puppy’s first wellness exam includes the following beneficial components:
- An extensive physical examination
- A detailed discussion of the necessary vaccinations your puppy needs to begin his healthy, long life
- Diagnostic testing for internal parasites and parasite control medication as needed.
- Heartworm preventative
- The familiarization of your new puppy with his/her veterinarian and our staff here at Winter Park Veterinary Hospital, as well as the encouragement of your pet’s comfort level with veterinarian visits
- The opportunity for us at Winter Park Veterinary Hospital to establish a relationship with you and your new puppy, as well as fully understand your expectations as a client and a pet owner
- A general discussion about your new puppy’s breed, age, known past medical history, home environment, behaviors, and activity level
- The time to address all of your questions and/or concerns about puppy and puppy care in general
Scheduling your puppy’s first wellness exam will set the foundation for your beloved new addition’s long-term health, as well as establish a beneficial routine for future wellness visits. The first few visits will allow our veterinarians to complete your puppy’s initial vaccination series, dispense heartworm medication, and monitor any developing medical or behavioral conditions.
When visiting with your new puppy for the first time, please bring the following with you:
- Your puppy on a leash
- Any prior health records that you received when you brought your puppy home, such as history of vaccines, deworming, neutering, past medical history, etc.
If you any questions about your puppy, please give us a call. We are here to help. Contact us to schedule a puppy wellness exam for your new puppy.